TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary of the Collection

Administrative Information

Scope and Content of the Collection

Arrangement

Selected Search Terms

|

Inventory of the Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs, ca. 1975


The Newberry Library
Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610-7324
USA
Phone: 312-255-3506
Fax: 312-255-3646
E-Mail: specialcolls@newberry.org
URL: http://www.newberry.org

Machine-readable finding aid encoded by Polly Smith, 2009.

©2009.


Descriptive Summary of the Collection

Creator Frederick D. Countiss Photography
Title Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs
Dates ca. 1975
Extent 0.1 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract Sixteen professional photographs of the area of Chicago known as the Stockyards Industrial Park which was developed after the closing of the Union Stock Yards in 1971. The Industrial Park is home to various small factories, none of which are involved in meatpacking. Few of the original structures remain, excepting the great limestone arch erected in 1879 to mark the stockyard entrance.
Language Materials are in English.
Repository Newberry Library, Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections
Collection Call Number Midwest MS 176
Collection Stack Location 3a 35 3

Administrative Information

Cite As

Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs, The Newberry Library, Chicago.

Provenance

Unknown.

Processed by

Virginia Hay Smith, 2009.

Access

The Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; (Priority III).

Ownership and Literary Rights

The Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Content of the Collection

Sixteen professional photographs of an area of Chicago, once the site of the meatpacking industry. With the closing of the Union Stock Yards in 1971, the area became an industrial park, home to various small factories and other businesses. Scenes include buildings, mostly of the Stock Yard Inn, and the original main gate to the stockyards, erected in 1879. The provenance is unknown but the name on the front of envelope the photographs came in is “Frederick D. Countiss Photography.”

Return to the Table of Contents


Arrangement

Arranged by subject.

Return to the Table of Contents


Selected Search Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Newberry Library's public catalog. Researchers desiring additional materials on a particular topic should search the catalog using these headings.

Names

  • Frederick D. Countiss Photography
  • Stock Yard Inn (Chicago, Ill.) -- Photographs
  • Union Stock Yard & Transit Company of Chicago

Subjects

  • Chicago (Ill.) -- History -- 20th century
  • Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago
  • Photograph collections -- Illinois -- Chicago
  • Photographs -- Illinois -- Chicago -- 1951-2000
  • Stockyards -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History

Return to the Table of Contents