Paper specimen collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
This is a growing collection of paper specimens, the bulk of which were issued between approximately 1970 and approximately 2010.
The collection includes single sheet paper specimens, paper catalogs, booklets, posters, order forms, price lists, annual reports, calendars, and other advertising materials originally issued by paper companies, art supply companies, printers, publishers, hand papermakers, and paper distributors. Collection also includes samples of wallpaper, watermarks, cloth binding materials, leather, and banknote paper. Geographic ranges of these companies and individuals include North America, Europe, and East Asia. The bulk of materials were issued in the United States. Significant amounts of material comes from Champion International Corporation, Crane, Eastern Corporation, Fox River Paper Company, Gilbert Paper, Mead Paper Company, Neenah Paper, Process Materials Corporation, S.D. Warren Company, Strathmore Paper Company, and Weyerhaeuser Paper Company.
- Creation: approximately 1900-ongoing
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1970 - 2010
- Newberry Library. John M. Wing Foundation (Organization)
Materials are in English and German.
Conditions Governing Access
The Paper specimen collection is open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Paper specimen collection is the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
6.5 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
A collection of paper specimen sheets, catalogs, binding materials, and other advertising materials issued primarily by paper companies. Geographic coverage includes primarily the United States and continental Europe.
Papers are issued alphabetically by the name of issuing body or creator.
Collection Stack Location
Collection amassed by the Custodian of the John M. Wing Foundation on the History of Printing.
Lindsey O’Brien and Joy Orillo-Dotson, 2016.
This inventory was created with the generous support of the Council on Library and Information Services, which is supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Andrews, Nelson, Whitehead (Firm) (Organization)
- Champion International Corporation (Organization)
- Crane (Firm) (Organization)
- Eastern Corporation (Bangor, Me.) (Organization)
- Fox River Paper Co. (Organization)
- Gilbert Paper (Firm) (Organization)
- Mead Paper Company (Organization)
- Neenah Paper (Firm) (Organization)
- Process Materials Corporation (Organization)
- S.D. Warren Company (Organization)
- Strathmore Paper Company (Organization)
- Weyerhaeuser Paper Company (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Blotting papers (Paper)
- Book cloth (textile material)
- Coated papers (Paper)
- Cover papers (Paper)
- Currency papers (Paper)
- Direct mail
- Embossed papers (Paper)
- Foil papers (Paper)
- Greeting cards
- Handmade papers (Paper)
- Marbled papers (Paper)
- Price lists
- Printed ephemera
- Sample books
- Tracing papers (Paper)
- Trade catalogs
- Wallpapers (Paper)
- Watercolor paper
- Inventory of the Paper specimen collection, approximately 1900-ongoing, bulk 1970-2010
- Lindsey O’Brien and Joy Orillo-Dotson
- Language of description
- Script of description