Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs
Scope and Content of the Collection
Sixteen professional photographs of an area of Chicago, once the site of the meatpacking industry. With the closing of the Union Stock Yards in 1971, the area became an industrial park, home to various small factories and other businesses. Scenes include buildings, mostly of the Stock Yard Inn, and the original main gate to the stockyards, erected in 1879. The provenance is unknown but the name on the front of envelope the photographs came in is “Frederick D. Countiss Photography.”
- Creation: approximately 1975
- Frederick D. Countiss Photography (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Sixteen professional photographs of the area of Chicago known as the Stockyards Industrial Park which was developed after the closing of the Union Stock Yards in 1971. The Industrial Park is home to various small factories, none of which are involved in meatpacking. Few of the original structures remain, excepting the great limestone arch erected in 1879 to mark the stockyard entrance.
Arranged by subject.
Collection Stack Location
1 1 2
Virginia Hay Smith, 2009.
- Inventory of the Chicago Stockyards Industrial Park Photographs, approximately 1975
- Virginia Hay Smith, 2009.
- Language of description
- Script of description