Pullman Company Records - Scrapbooks
Scope and Content of the Collection
Scrapbooks containing newspaper and magazine clippings assembled by various Pullman’s Palace car company and Pullman Company departments, dating primarily from two years prior to the company’s incorporation in 1867 through the 1927 creation of Pullman Inc. There are also several 1940’s Public Relations Dept. volumes.
Available on 35 mm. microfilm available in the General Reading Room of the Library. Request Microfilm 1213.
Forms part of the Pullman Company Records
This finding aid supersedes the Guide to the Pullman Company Archives (Chicago: Newberry Library, 1995)
- Creation: 1865-1947
- Pullman Company (Organization)
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Pullman Company Records are open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Medical records and records of disciplinary action are closed for a period of fifty years after the creation of the record. Such records may be disclosed only to the named individual or his legal representative. Application and service files that may contain medical and disciplinary information will be reviewed and records removed before the files are supplied to a researcher.
Personnel records less than fifty years old and not specified in (1) above are open for research with the user's written assurance that information from the records will be used for statistical or summary purposes only and that no specific names or individually identifiable information will be disclosed. Such information may be revealed only if the individual or his legal representative agrees to its release, or if the individual is deceased.
Photocopies of open personnel records less than fifty years old are supplied only for the researcher's personal use and may not be reproduced. All copies must be destroyed or returned upon completion of work.
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Pullman Company Records - Scrapbooks are the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
35.8 Linear Feet (84 volumes in 86 boxes and 7 oversize boxes)
Scrapbooks containing newspaper and magazine clippings assembled by various Pullman’s Palace car company and Pullman Company departments, dating primarily from two years prior to the company’s incorporation in 1867 through the 1927 creation of Pullman Inc. There are also several 1940’s Public Relations Dept. volumes. Forms part of the Pullman Company Records.
Papers are organized in the following series
- Series 01: Pullman Company. Secretary. Series A, miscellaneous scrapbooks, 1865-1925
- Boxes 1-36; Volumes 1-34
- Series 02: Pullman’s Palace Car Company. Secretary. Town of Pullman scrapbooks, 1883-1890
- Boxes 1-2; Volumes 1-2
- Series 03: Pullman’s Palace Car Company. Secretary. Strike scrapbooks, 1894-1897
- Boxes 1-12; Volumes 1-11
- Series 04: Pullman Company. Second Vice President. Series B, Miscellaneous scrapbooks, 1883-1924
- Boxes 1-10; Volumes 1-9
- Series 05: Pullman Company. General Superintendent. Scrapbooks, 1882-1908
- Boxes 1-13; Volumes 1-12
- Series 06: Pullman Company. Public Relations Dept. Scrapbooks, 1940-1947
- Boxes 1-5; Volumes 1-5
- Series 07: Miscellaneous scrapbooks, 1873-1927
- Boxes 1-12; Volumes 1-11
Collection Stack Location
1 60 2-4
Gift of Pullman Family and Pullman Company, 1948-1981
Martha T. Briggs and Cynthia H. Peters, 1995.
- Inventory of the Pullman Company Records - Scrapbooks, 1865-1947Case.Pullman.12Case.Pullman.12
- Finding aid prepared by Finding aid prepared by Martha T. Briggs and Cynthia H. Peters
- Language of description
- Script of description