Hamilton Bogart Dox papers
Muster rolls, vouchers, special orders, discharge papers, and letters, dated from Jan. 4, 1864-Nov. 10, 1905, concerning the military service of Gen. Hamilton B. Dox during the Civil War. Muster-in rolls indicate his enlistment in Chicago as major in the 12th Ill. Cavalry on Jan. 4, 1864, and his promotion to lt. col. on Oct. 29, 1864. Two vouchers, dated April 30 and June 6 of 1866 document his military pay and clothing and travel expenses. Also included are special orders of May 16, 1866, relieving him of command of a post in Houston, Texas, and a printed certificate of discharge from that post. Other documents include a typed list, dated Sept. 26, 1898, of Dox’s military positions; an information form of Feb. 18, 1903 from the Dept. of the Interior’s Bureau of Pensions; and a ms. letter (on pictorial letterhead of the Burnet House Hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio) dated Nov. 10, 1905 to Dox from George Evans, congratulating him on his literary efforts of an "anecdotal" nature.
- Dox, Hamilton Bogart (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Biographical / Historical
Civil War general. Born in Albany, N.Y. in 1829, Dox enlisted in the Union Army on Jan. 4, 1864, and served in the 12th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry Regiment as major and then as lieutenant-colonel. He commanded a post in Houston, Texas from Feb.-May, 1866, and was brevetted colonel and brigadier general on May 29, 1866 at the age of 37 for "gallant and meritorious services."
0.1 Linear Feet (10 items)
Language of Materials
Materials include manuscripts; printed forms with ms. additions; and typescript.
- Burnet House Hotel (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Correspondence -- 1851-1900
- Correspondence -- 1901-1950
- Dox, Hamilton Bogart
- Evans, George
- Illinois -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Manuscripts, American
- Muster rolls -- 1851-1900
- Texas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Cavalry operations
- United States. Army -- Military life
- United States. Army -- Officers
- United States. Army. Illinois Cavalry Regiment, 12th (1862-1866) -- History
- Vouchers (sales records) -- 1851-1900
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description