Gabriel Harrison letters
Identifier: VAULT box-Ayer-MS-3038
Letters regarding John Howard Payne to Gabriel Harrison from three current and former U.S. consuls to Tunis, William Penn Chandler of Philadelphia, George Whitfield Fish of Tunis and Flint, Mich., and Amos Perry of Providence, R.I. Also one letter, also about Payne, from Fish to Thomas J. McKee, a New York lawyer and friend of Harrison's.,The letters, which were probably responses to a correspondence initiated by Harrison during the revision of his 1875 work, concern the circumstances of Payne's death, the erection of and wording on his Tunis gravestone, the disposition of Payne's personal effects and the interest of his niece, Eloise E. Luquer in recovering them, Chandler's possession of Payne mss., and W.W. Corcoran's proposal to transfer Payne's remains to Washington, D.C. Fish, who had served as consul until 1882 when Congress failed to appropriate funds for the post, also comments on the shaky political situation at Tunis and the sad state of U.S. representation in the southern Mediterranean.
- Harrison, Gabriel (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Brooklyn, N.Y., theatrical manager, actor, painter, and author of an 1875 work about John Howard Payne, who was himself an actor, playwright, defender of the Cherokee Indians, and U.S. consul at Tunis.,Harrison's popular volume, which sparked a renewed interest in Payne, who had died in Tunis in 1852, was enlarged and reissued in 1885 with the title: John Howard Payne, dramatist, poet, and actor.
0.1 Linear Feet (10 items in 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Chandler correspondence,formerly known as Ayer MS 153a.
Fish correspondence,formerly known as Ayer MS 281a.
Perry correspondence,formerly known as Ayer MS 708a.
Chandler letter, Feb. 26, 1883, and Fish letters, Oct. 22, 1881, and Dec. 29, 1882,,published in Harrison, Gabriel. John Howard Payne. Philadelphia : Lippincott, 1885.
- Chandler, W. P. (William Penn) -- Correspondence
- Corcoran, W. W. (William Wilson)
- Correspondence -- Michigan -- Flint -- 1851-1900
- Correspondence -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- 1851-1900
- Correspondence -- Rhode Island -- Providence -- 1851-1900
- Correspondence -- Tunisia -- Tunis -- 1851-1900
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
- Fish, Geo. W. (George Whitfield) -- Correspondence
- Harrison, Gabriel -- Correspondence
- Harrison, Gabriel, 1818-1902. John Howard Payne
- Luquer, Eloise E.
- Manuscripts, American
- McKee, Thomas Jefferson -- Correspondence
- Payne, John Howard -- Death and burial
- Perry, Amos -- Correspondence
- Tunis (Tunisia) -- Politics and government -- 19th century -- Sources
- United States. Consulate (Tunis, Tunisia) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description