Herman Haupt papers
Born in 1852 in Philadelphia; son of inventor and civil engineer Herman Haupt. Also author of The Yellowstone National Park : a complete guide ... New York : J.M. Stoddart, c1883. Manuscript copy of "North American Indians : ethnology of the Dakota,-Sioux,-and Ojibway,-Chippeway-Indians ... Phoenix Edition. 1897," a typewritten excerpt from it, and correspondence (1903, 1919-1921) with Edward E. Ayer, W.N.C. Carlton, and Clara Smith at the Newberry Library, regarding it.,The manuscript (344 leaves) deals mainly with the Dakota Sioux and the Ojibwa of Wisconsin and Minnesota and is illustrated with 277 pen and ink drawings and one map. Covering history, dwellings, domestic habits, games, traditions and legends, dress and ornament, medicine, laws, religion, war and weapons, and death and burial practices, the work was written originally over a period of ten years, lost in a fire on the Pennsylvania Railroad, and painstakingly reconstructed as the "Phoenix Edition" by Haupt. Lacking funds to publish his manuscript, Haupt offered it to Ayer in 1903, and corresponded with the Newberry, 1919-1921, regarding efforts to have it published by the Smithsonian Bureau of American Ethnology.
- Haupt, Herman (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Born in 1852 in Philadelphia; son of inventor and civil engineer Herman Haupt. Also author of The Yellowstone National Park : a complete guide ... New York : J.M. Stoddart, c1883.
0.2 Linear Feet (1 box and 1 envelope)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Butler, R.L. Checklist of Mss. in the Ayer Coll.,,366-367
Typewritten excerpt and correspondence,formerly known as Ayer MS 367.
Ms. (344 leaves),in box with title: North American Indians Haupt.
Map cataloged separately.
- Ayer, Edward Everett -- Correspondence
- Carlton, W. N. C. (William Newnham Chattin) -- Correspondence
- Correspondence -- 1901-1950
- Dakota Indians -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works
- Drawings (visual works) -- 1851-1900
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
- Haupt, Herman -- Correspondence
- Haupt, Herman. North American Indians
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works
- Manuscripts, American
- Newberry Library -- Records and correspondence
- Ojibwa Indians -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works
- Pen and ink drawings
- Smith, Clara A. -- Correspondence
- Smithsonian Institution. Bureau of American Ethnology
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description