Benjamin Hawkins letters
Identifier: VAULT box-Ayer-MS-368
North Carolina planter, U.S. senator, and Indian agent. Letters concerning southern Indian affairs, 1796-1812, from Hawkins to Col. David Henley, U.S. War Dept. agent based in Knoxville; James Jackson, governor of Georgia, 1798-1801; and Harry Toulmin, a prominent Mobile resident and later federal judge in the Mississippi Territory.,Subjects include setting the boundary line between the U.S. and the Creek Nation along the Clinch River and settlers on Indian lands there (1797); horse thefts and Creeks spoiled by British and Spanish gifts (1798); Florida depradations of William Augustus Bowles, a self-styled director-general of the Creek Nation (1800); and punishment of Creek Indians for murders committed on the post road, relations with Spanish Florida, and Seminole attacks (1812).
- Hawkins, Benjamin (Person)
Biographical / Historical
North Carolina planter, U.S. senator, and Indian agent. In 1796, George Washington appointed Hawkins, a veteran of treaty negotiations with the southern Indians, as "Principal Temporary Agent for Indian Affairs South of Ohio." Hawkins served as agent to the Creeks and as general superintendent of Indian affairs in the region until 1803. From 1803 to 1816 he continued as agent for the Creeks and Seminoles within the boundaries of U.S.
0.1 Linear Feet (8 folders)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
Butler, R.L. Checklist of Mss. in the Ayer Coll.,,368-369, 371
Letter to James Jackson (Aug. 14, 1800),formerly known as Ayer MS 369.
Letters to Harry Toulmin (Aug. 19, Aug. 26, and Sept. 16, 1812),formerly known as Ayer MS 371.
- Bowles, William Augustus
- Correspondence -- Southern States -- 1751-1800
- Correspondence -- Southern States -- 1801-1850
- Creek Indians -- Government relations -- Sources
- Creek Indians -- Wars -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library)
- Hawkins, Benjamin -- Correspondence
- Henley, David -- Correspondence
- Indian agents -- Southern States -- Correspondence
- Indians of North America -- Southern States -- Government relations -- 1789-1869 -- Sources
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Jackson, James -- Correspondence
- Manuscripts, American
- Seminole Indians -- Wars -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Toulmin, Harry -- Correspondence
- Catalog Record Only
- Language of description
- Script of description