Temperance pledge collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
Collection of temperance pledge certificates issued by churches, temperance societies, and other organizations roughly from the mid-19th century until the mid-20th century in the United States and abroad.
The collection consists primarily of individual pledges but, in some cases, collective pledges are also included, usually in the context of a family or a church setting. Most of the organizations included only have a few materials that do not span succeeding decades, but other organizations like Band of Hope, National Christian Temperance Union, Blue Ribbon, Loyal Temperance Legion, and Woman’s Christian Temperance Union have material spanning multiple decades. Miscellaneous pledges are ones for which no formal organization was discernible.
- Creation: 1839-1970
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1840 - 1940
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The Temperance pledge collection is open for research in the Special Collections Reading Room; 1 box at a time (Priority III).
Ownership and Literary Rights
The Temperance pledge collection is the physical property of the Newberry Library. Copyright may belong to the authors or their legal heirs or assigns. For permission to publish or reproduce any materials from this collection, contact the Roger and Julie Baskes Department of Special Collections.
2.7 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Collection of temperance pledge certificates representing many major temperance organizations (both American and trans-Atlantic), some families, and a variety of states and localities.
Arranged chronologically by decade. Undated materials are arranged alphabetically at the end of the collection.
Collection Stack Location
1 38 3
Purchase, The Book Shop, Covina, CA, 2015.
Alex Haskins, 2015.
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Organization)
- Anti-saloon League of America. Lincoln-Lee Legion Department (Organization)
- Cold Water Army (Organization)
- Independent Order of Rechabites (Organization)
- Loyal Temperance Legion (Organization)
- National Temperance League (U.S.) (Organization)
- United Boys' Brigade of America (Organization)
- White Ribbon Association (Organization)
- Inventory of the Temperance pledge collection, 1839-1970, bulk 1840-1940
- Alex Haskins
- Language of description
- Script of description