Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract Collection of over 1200 red and brown conté crayon on paper portraits of assorted American Indian subjects drawn during E. A. Burbank’s extensive travel to American Indian communities throughout the American Southwest, West, and Northwest. Commissioned to paint a portrait of Chief Geronimo by his maternal uncle, Edward E. Ayer, the Newberry benefactor and president of the Field Columbian Museum, Burbank embarked in 1897 on what would turn out to be a decades-long, quixotic quest to “paint every...
Dates: approximately 1897-1914
Abstract Collection of twenty-five oil paintings on canvas and panel executed by E. A. Burbank during the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries. Predominately composed of intimately-scaled portraits of American Indian men and women, this collection offers invaluable insight into the pictorial depiction of the American Indian during the turn of the twentieth century as well as the cultural cache attached to the depiction of native subjects.
Abstract Collection of photogravures, colortype lithographs, and other offset color prints of drawings and oil paintings by E. A. Burbank. Consisting primarily of prints of oil paintings included in Burbank’s extensive series of American Indian portraits, this collection of mass-produced, predominately twentieth century prints offers insight into cultural appeal of the American Indian and the wide dissemination of the work of E. A. Burbank during the last century.
Dates: approximately 1897-1937
- Indian reservations -- United States 2
- Apache Tribe of Oklahoma 1
- Drawings (visual works) -- 1851-1900 1
- Drawings (visual works) -- 1901-1950 1
- Drawings -- American -- 1890-1920 1
- Paintings (visual works) -- 1851-1900 1
- Paintings (visual works) -- 1901-1950 1
- Portrait drawings -- 1880-1930 1
- Portraits, American -- 19th century 1
- Portraits, American -- 20th century 1
- Prints -- 1851-1900 1
- Prints -- 1901-1950 1 ∧ less
- Joseph (Nez Percé Chief) 2
- Red Cloud 2
- Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma 1
- Nez Perce Tribe of Idaho 1
- Pretty Eagle (Crow Indian chief) 1