Clu. Clubs and Organizations
Found in 77 Collections and/or Records:
Formed in 1921 by Chicago social leader Edith Rockefeller McCormick and composer Elinor Everest Freer to promote music, the American Opera Society of Chicago commissioned the translation of 23 operas in English. In its later incarnation it became a support group providing scholarships to rising opera stars. The collection includes several boxes and six albums of clippings, performance announcements, photos, member lists, meeting minutes and programs.
Administrative, legal, and publicity material relating to the founding and development of The American Writers museum, which opened at 180 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago in 2017. Includes prospectuses, building and exhibition designs, and some artifacts, including the ribbon and engraved scissors from the ribbon cutting.
Digital materials include an email box, planning and exhibition documents, and photographs.
Corporate records of the Arts Club of Chicago, an institution incorporated in 1916 and devoted to exhibiting and showcasing innovative artists and performers. Records include extensive exhibition files, files on the Club's music, lecture, film, and drama series, and administrative and financial files.
Minutes, financial records, membership information, miscellaneous receipts and correspondence, event programs, and newsletters of the Cambrian Benevolent Society of Chicago (1853-ongoing). Also orders of worship, event programs, miscellaneous correspondence, and newsletters of the Hebron Welsh Westminster United Presbyterian Church (closed 1987).
Records kept by Thomas Hart Fisher, secretary for the Chicago Allied Arts, Inc., a short-lived organization which produced a series of programs of new music and dance in Chicago from 1924-1927. Includes business correspondence and financial information, with some program planning information.
Correspondence, clippings and programs of this orchestra, established in 1921, which was composed of men working in Chicago business firms. Later renamed the Chicago Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra.
Records of the Chicago Children’s Choir, now known as Uniting Voices Chicago, documenting the Choir’s history, programs, operations, and growth since its founding by Christopher Moore in 1956 at the First Unitarian Church of Chicago. Includes administrative files, publicity materials, performance and tour records, information about staff and singers, photographs, and audiovisual recordings.
Chicago Choral Artists (CCA) began in 1975 as the James Chorale before changing their name in 1997 following the death of their founder, James Rogner, in 1995. They continue to perform in the Chicago area, focusing on creating "a vibrant thread of music which connects the director, the singers and the audience" (quoted from their website, 2021).
Administrative, promotional, and audiovisual records of the Chicago City Ballet, founded by prima ballerina Maria Tallchief in 1980. The successor of the Lyric Opera Ballet, this resident ballet company toured and performed in Chicago and throughout the United States until dissolving in 1987. Also includes photographs and musical scores.
The School of the Chicago City Ballet was founded in 1980 by Maria Tallchief and affiliated with the Chicago City Ballet, outlasting the company by six years until its closing in 1993. Includes administrative records, publicity materials, and photographs.
Administrative files, consultant files and a collection of background information and publications relating to the field of dance and specifically to the activities of a short-term initiative developed by the Chicago Community Trust which had the aim of strengthening the field of dance in Chicago.
Records of the Chicago Dance Coalition, the Chicago Music Alliance, and the merged Chicago Dance and Music Alliance. Includes administrative, financial, and photographic materials as well as audiovisual and digital data items.
Business records and newsletters of The Chicago Hand Bookbinders, an association of professional, amateur, and student bookbinders founded in 1978.
Formed in 1891 by newcomers into the Chicago library field from New York to encourage the acquaintance and cooperation between libraries, library schools and other fields. Founding members included W.F. Poole, Frederick H. Wild, Charles Alexander Nelson, Edith Clark and others. Collection includes one box of assorted correspondence, clippings and other miscellaneous items from 1971-84, and one ledger.
The Chicago National Association of Dance Masters (CNADM) was founded in 1912 and serves as a resource of continuing education for dance teachers and their students. Records include workshop reports, dance notes, and audiovisual recordings of CNADM workshops.
Correspondence and contracts mostly relating to singer Amerlita Galli-Curci and Cleofonte Campanini, General Director of the Chicago Opera Association. Also two leases between the Chicago Civic Opera Co. and the Auditorium Theatre.
Founded in 1974 as the Chicago Opera Studio, the organization's goal was to provide high quality opera productions in English and designed for contemporary tastes using younger Chicago singers and musicians. Records include budgets, proposals, notes, invitations, brochures, programs, and window posters.
Records compiled by the Chairman of the Chicagoan of the Year Award Committee, Roger B. Johnston, that include Press Club newsletters, publicity material, awardee biographical information, correspondence, and information about the nomination process. Also includes a plaque with award winner names from 1959 to 1985.